Today, India will receive its first C-295 military plane. The nation will receive its first of 56 such aircraft as part of a deal struck for them today. Spain will deliver 16 of these aircraft, while Vadodara will construct the remaining 40. The head of the Air Force, Air Marshal V R Chaudhari, is preparing to travel to Seville, Spain, where the first C-295 aircraft will be delivered.
According to a report, defence officials told ANI, “The IAF chief would receive the first aircraft from Airbus at their facility in Seville, Spain on Wednesday. The aircraft would be flying to India from there after the ceremony.” The IAF has signed a contract for 56 of these planes of which 16 will be made in Spain while the remaining 40 will be produced by the joint venture of Tata and Airbus in their facility in Vadodara, Gujarat. This is the first project of its kind in which a military aircraft will be manufactured in India by a private company.
The foundation for this achievement was laid in 2021 when Tata and Airbus agreed to a deal for the purchase of 56 C-295 military transport planes for a total of Rs 21,935 crore.
About the C-295 Airlifter
- The C-295 is a multipurpose aircraft with a 5-to-10-ton carrying capacity.
- It can carry out logistical missions in regions inaccessible to heavier aircraft while transporting up to 71 soldiers or 50 paratroopers.
- It performs remarkably well during short takeoff and landing (STOL) from grassy, sandy, and unpaved airstrips.
- The C-295 is designed to provide outstanding low-level flight characteristics for tactical missions, flying at speeds as slow as 110 knots.
- The Pratt & Whitney Canada PW127G turboprop engines that power the C-295, according to Airbus, deliver remarkable hot-and-high performance, excellent manoeuvrability, and fuel efficiency for a very long endurance of up to 13 hours in the air.
- The aircraft has retractable landing gear and a pressurized cabin measuring 12.69 meters in length without any obstructions. The cruising altitude for the C-295 is 30,000 feet.
- The aircraft has a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para-dropping of troops and cargo.
- It can be fitted with 24 stretchers and seven medical attendants.
C-295 plane will replace the ageing Avro aircraft of the IAF.
Please, also have a look into : Four time Formula 1 world champion Sebastian Vettel robbed in Spain: Chases robbers on a scooter