At least 11 people including 10 District Reserve Guard (DRG) jawans were killed in a Naxal attack in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh on Wednesday. A driver also lost his life in the IED blast carried out by Maoists, Times Now sources said. The jawans were returning from an anti-Maoist operation that was launched following intelligence inputs. Earlier last week, naxals through a letter had threatened to attack security forces.
Security personnel belonging to the District Reserve Guard (DRG) had gone to Dantewada’s Aranpur area after getting inputs of presence of Naxalites there.
It is learnt The DRG vehicle was already on the radar of the Naxals, who were tracking the route and movement of the convoy.
The party also didn’t change the route and used the same way which is another lapse at the level of planning.
The DRG was formed to carry out anti-Naxal operations in Chhattisgarh. It has inducted locals in the force, especially from the Bastar region, and has performed several anti-Naxal operations.
TV visuals from a local news channel showed a huge crater splitting the road wide open.
Bodies covered with plastic sheets, and also vehicle parts were seen strewn along.
The Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh, Bhupesh Baghel assured strict action against the perpetrators and said that Naxals won’t be spared. There is such information with us. It is very saddening. My condolences to the bereaved families. This fight is in its last stage. Naxals won’t be spared”, CM Baghel tweeted.
Besides, Union Home Minister Amit Shah has also assured Baghel of all central assistance in the wake of the deaths.